Yalding Town Bridge:
The current bridge certainly existed by the late C15th, as two private donors are known to have left money to pay for the maintenance of the bridge in 1474 and 1475. When it was excavated in 1969, C13th foundations were discovered, as well as the remains of large timber beams – which suggests that there was an earlier wooden bridge built on the same site. Originally, there were seven arches spanning across two channels of the river. Only six arches are now visible as the seventh is now part of the 'The Swan'.
When this bridge was built is unknown, but the earliest recorded mention of this bridge is in 1325, when there was an investigation relating to who was responsible for repairs to the bridge. It is c.120 ft long, c12 ft wide and has four 'pointed' arches. It is mostly built from Kentish ragstone, though a red line of bricks across the top was added in 1980. Part of the bridge collapsed in 1939 and it was rebuilt. A canal was built by the Navigation Company leading to Hampstead Lane Lock, which means that river traffic is diverted before one gets to Twyford bridge.
Laddingford Bridge (on the Teise):
This may date to the C14th and consists of two pointed arches.